Skip to main content

How to: Crested Gecko Care

Crested geckos are the most low maintenance pets you will ever own. 


I personally found a crested gecko to be one of the best pets one could have in college. The geckos themselves are small, their tank is not very big (since dorm rooms are about the size of a prison cell), food for a whole year only costs around twenty dollars, they are not inherently social so you do not have to get them out and socialize with them for certain amounts of time, tank cleaning is only required once a month (or only when dirty), he gets fed three times a week, and I only have to maintain his humidity. All of these combined together proved that Pongo would be the best college pet. 


Daily Routine:

    - In the mornings I get up and mist his cage until the humidity rises anywhere between sixty five percent and seventy five percent (65%-75%). I also make sure that the temperature is at an adequate number, anywhere between seventy degrees Fahrenheit and eighty degrees Fahrenheit. During the day he requires very little to pretty much no maintenance. I personally like to get him out and let him crawl around my room. He really likes one of the plants that I keep in my dorm room, and sleeps on it often. If I walk by his tank and see that he has defecated in his tank or he has tracked food across the glass, I will spot clean his cage to avoid having to do a deep clean every month.

    - At night, right before I go to bed I mist his cage again. His cage at night should have humidity range between seventy five percent and eighty five percent (75%-85%). This is essential as crested geckos are nocturnal and are most active during the night. This is most likely when they are shedding, eating, and drinking. Crested geckos drink a lot of water, and they do this by liking the leaves or glass (just like they would in the wild). 


Weekly Routine: 

    - I have a mix between a strict and a relaxed feeding schedule for Pongo. Most weeks I make sure to feed him every other day, which is about three times a week. During these weeks I feed him his commercial food that has the consistency of thick baby food. It includes all of the things he needs nutrition wise and also includes his calcium supplement. It is extremely important that crested geckos have some kind of calcium supplement in their diet. There are a couple weeks where I only feed him twice. This is because the will not always eat there food every day and this also replicates how it would be in the wild if he had a hard time finding food. Other weeks I only feed him his commercial diet only twice because on the third time I substitute the commercial diet with some other food like bananas or apple sauce. Occasionally I also will substitute his commercial diet with crickets (I get mine from PetSmart for around seventy-five cents). 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Much Does It Cost? P1

 How much does owning a crested gecko cost? Owning a crested gecko can cost anywhere between one hundred and twenty dollars to five hundred dollars ($120-$500). This is because it all depends on how much you want to spend on each item. As a broke college student, I went for the one hundred and twenty dollar route, and still have nice plants, a great tank, and a beautiful gecko that is healthy. There are loop holes and ways around having to spend ridiculous amounts of money on your crested gecko, and still create a high quality and healthy environment.  1. Tank      -Tanks can cost anywhere between fifty and three hundred dollars ($50-$300), and it all depends on the location at which you buy it from.      - If you buy a tank from PetSmart, or another brand name pet store, your tank is going to be on the higher end of the range (closest to three hundred). If you look on places like ebay or the facebook market, the cost is going to be on the lower end of the ranger (around fifty dollars)

How to: Research

Research made easy.  When I first decided that I wanted to adopt a crested gecko, I did not any idea on how to take care of one. I quickly found out that doing adequate research makes the world of the difference in adopting this type of reptile, especially if you do not own any other types of reptiles.  So where is a good place to start? 1. Do some self reflection and determine what kind of animal best suits your situation.            - Crested geckos are best for people who like reptiles (not afraid of them jumping, etc), are on a low budget, able to make a 20 year commitment (their estimated life span), available space near a power outlet for the terrarium, able to maintain the humidity every morning and every night, and organized enough to keep track of when you feed them their commercial foods.           -If this criteria does not apply to you, then a crested gecko is probably not the best fit for you. However, if this sounds like you, then you have a lot of research a head of you.

How Much Does It Cost? P2

How much does it cost to own a crested gecko?  3. Feeders     - These can range anywhere between ten dollars to thirty dollars ($10-$30).      - Professional decor is on the higher end of the range. I personally bought mine off of Amazon. It is not fancy and it was only ten dollars (cheapest I could find), but it serves its purpose. It is plastic and hangs onto the side of the glass with suction cups and has two holder, one for water and one for food. I often times see him just hanging out on the ledge.  4. Hygrometer/Thermometer      - These can range between ten for forty dollars ($10-$40).     - It all depends on whether or not you want them to display on the same device. For this product I spent fifteen dollars on a digital hygrometer/thermometer that display on the same screen and suction cups to the glass. I went with the slightly more expensive hygrometer/thermometer because I was being picky and wanted the digital one, instead of the gage. 5. Heat (Pad or Lamp)     - This can r